WHAT IS A HOME CARE PACKAGE?
A home care package is a coordinated package of care and services to help you to live independently in your own home for as long as you can.
The Package will be coordinated by your home care provider who will discuss with you:
- Care and services that best meet your needs and goals
- The management of your care and services
This discussion will form a care plan detailing the services and items to be put into place. This care plan can be reviewed and changed as your needs change.
There are four levels of home care packages to help meet the different levels of care needs:
- Level 1 – Basic care needs
- Level 2 – Low-level care needs
- Level 3 – Intermediate care needs
- Level 4 – High-level care needs
The Australian Government pays a different subsidy amount for each level of home care package.
This amount is paid to the home care provider you choose.
HOW DO I ACCESS A HOME CARE PACKAGE?
You can access a Home Care Package by following these five steps:
- Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 to request an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) assessment.
- An ACAT Assessor will conduct a home assessment during which the ACAT will determine your eligibility, which package level best meets your care needs and your priority for accessing a package.
- If approved as eligible you will be APPROVED* for one level of home care package. You will be prioritised for care and you will be placed on the national queue for a package.
- When you reach the top of the queue, you will be ASSIGNED* a home care and receive a letter from My Aged Care with a unique referral code.
- Present your referral code to your preferred Home Care Services provider, such as Jewish Community Services, to arrange the package of care.
* There is a difference between the ACAT Approval and Assignment. Between the ACAT Approval and Assignment you will be waiting on the national queue. Each person’s waiting time is different and is depending on your priority and other personal circumstances. Please note that
your care and services can only commence when you are Assigned a home care package.
WHAT SERVICES CAN BE OFFERED THROUGH A HOME CARE PACKAGE?
Depending on your needs, some of the common services that are provided through a Home Care Package include:
- Personal care
- Meal preparation
- Shopping respite
- Social support
- Medication management
- Allied health (physiotherapy, podiatrist or dietician) or nursing